London Necropolis Railway
The old entrance to London’s strangest railway station stands in Westminster Bridge Road. It was the terminus of a railway that used to convey coffins and family mourners to a special cemetery to the west of London.
A each end of the bridge are two original toll-houses from the days when pedestrians and other traffic had to pay to cross the bridge.
Derry and Toms
High on the top of the old store, near Kensington High Street, is the largest roof-top garden in London. It contains several restaurants and even a lake!
Only three miles from Westminster Bridge, Inner London still has a fully working windmill. It is located at Blenheim Gardens, a side-road off Brixton Hill.
Sayes Court Park
The courtier and diarist, John Evelyn, lived in a grand house at Deptford. Sayes Court Park is on the site today. In it is a mulberry tree, planted by Evelyn, about 1670.
Leinster Gardens - Nos 23 & 24
When the Circle Line was constructed between Paddington and Bayswater, in the late 1860s, it was necessary to demolish two houses in a rather exclusive terrace of houses in Leinster Gardens, Bayswater. The gap in the houses was filled by replica buildings that are mere facades five feet deep.
Many of the large, well-known, West End stores were started as drapery businesses by Welshmen. Their names are a reminder of this fact - Peter Jones, John Lewis and D H Evans.
Situated on the north side of Cannon Street is probably the oldest object in the capital. It was placed there by the Romans, as a distance marker.
The shortest street name in London, it runs off Villiers Street, near the Strand. Its name relates to George Villiers, the Duke of Buckingham, who insisted that streets laid out on land he once owned were named after him. George Court, Villiers Street, Duke Street (no longer in existence), Of Alley (now called York Place) and Buckingham Street were the result.
Great Eastern Hotel
It stands next to Liverpool Street Station. In its Victorian hey-day, it had a swimming pool supplied with sea-water brought everyday by a special truck which was filled with water from the sea at Cromer.
The vast modern estate derived its name from a humble warehouse, called Canary Wharf, used to store bananas from the Canary Islands.
The gardens at Forest Hill were where Mr Horniman, the founder of a famous tea packaging company, used to live. In 1902 he gave his museum, along with his house and gardens, to the people of London.
Sloane Square Station
The underground station used to have a licensed bar at platform level, called the ‘Hole in the Wall’, which closed in 1985. It still has what looks like a large sewer pipe above the eastern end of the platforms. Through it flows the lost River Westbourne.
Under the pavement, near Bishopsgate, are rooms built for Turkish baths, now used as a café.
Cable Street (in Stepney) was where cables for ships were once made. On Lavender Hill (in Battersea) they used to grow Lavender. Perry Vale and Perry Rise (in Forest Hill) were once the site of pear orchards. Plumstead High Street was where plums were once grown.
Royal Victualling Yard
A Victualling yard is where food is stored, in this case for the Royal Navy. Standing beside the Thames, at Deptford, are the old rum warehouse which once housed vats each storing 32,000 gallons of rum.
The hill, near New Cross, is now a park. Its name derives from a semaphore transmitting station, built on the hill (between 1796 until about 1830) by the Admiralty. The station was one of a chain of similar buildings which conveyed messages from London to naval ports in the days before electric telegraphs.
London & Greenwich Railway
Opened in 1836, it was London's first railway. It ran from London Bridge Station, via Deptford to Greenwich using a brick viaduct with 878 arches. It is believed to be the longest brick structure in the world.
The street is so-called because ‘cheap’ was the Old English word for a market. Nearby are streets named after the commodities sold there - Bread Street; Wood Street; Ironmonger Lane; Poultry; Honey Lane; Milk Street; and Friday Steet (where they once sold fish).
In 1906, when John Lewis, the owner of the original Oxford Street store, heard that Peter Jones, the store at Sloane Square, was up for sale at £1,000, he bought it. He withdrew the money from the bank, walked to Sloane Square and paid in cash!
Escalators on the Underground
In 1907 an innovative spiral escalator was installed at Holloway Road Underground Station. Only a small section from it now remains in the London Transport Museum. The first escalators installed on an underground station were at Earl's Court station.
Opened in 1894, the lifting arms, called bascules, which open to allow ships to pass through, had been raised an average of three time each day by the time the Upper Docks closed in the late 1970s.
All Hallows Barking
The only remaining piece of Saxon masonry in Inner London is a stone arch, found in the church while carrying out repairs after the Second World War. The church is near the Tower of London.
This thoroughfare became the only one in the City of London to carry the name ‘Road’ when the boundary around the City changed in 1994. Until then, all main thoroughfares were all called ‘Street’.
King's Cross Station
A new platform, numbered 0, was opened in 2010. It lies to the east of platform 1. This was done to create capacity for Network Rail to begin a phased refurbishment of platforms 1-8, including the addition of new lifts to a new footbridge between the platforms which opened in March 2012.